Friday, November 30, 2012

Can Working Out Qualify as Meditation?

I am five foot three inches tall and I weigh right around two-hundred pounds. Overt he last few years I have lost, and kept off, about eighty pounds. Knee problems, diabetes, kids, and a hormone disorder contributed to my weight gain. Oh and the fact I fucking love food.I am not one of those people who sits back and cries, "Oh I don't know how I got so over weight!" I do know. Most of it was medical, but there was a healthy dose of fat-ass eating in there too. 

As I was working out tonight while watching Sons of Anarchy Season Two that I got for ten bucks (yea, I'm proud of that. Bow to me. lol) , I had a thought. Is working out like mediation? In meditation  well at least mindfulness meditation, you have to keep reminding yourself to focus on the breath. Over and over we have to, compassionately, tell our minds to focus on the breath. when I work out I have to remind myself that I can do this or that the result is worth it. Is that the same thing? 

I know I've heard walking meditation mentioned in Dharma talks. I would think that working out and clearing your mind of everything but what you are doing in that moment would be about the same. I would imagine there are many things that we do that involve emptying our minds and being mindful of our current actions that are a lot like meditation. 

I try to mediate at least once a day. Usually it is a guided mediation because that helps me since I am still so new. I have noticed that now, instead of jumping straight into I;ll mess a bitch up mode, if I get angry I will stop, breathe and think about my next step. It's help tremendously. 

What do you do in your everyday life that is like meditation but isn't actually meditation?

No comments:

Post a Comment