Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dharma Punx: Memoir of Punk Monk Noah Levine

When I started my search on Buddhism a few months ago I happened across a book called, Dharma Punx: A Memoir. After reading the description of the book, I set out with great anticipation to the closest book store, forty-five minutes from me, to buy it. When I started reading it I was immediately fascinated by Noah Levine's story. Here was this guy, truly suffering for most off his life, who found peace through the Dharma.
His path takes him from troubled kid to homeless street punk, to addict, to the spiritual path that saved his life. It was amazing to read how the Dharma affected change in his life, little by little. It reminds you that it is worth every bit of effort you put into it. It was through this book that I found the Dharma Punx site ( here ) and then the Against the Stream site ( here )

Noah has used his spiritual practice not just to better himself, but to better his friends, family, and community. Spending a large amount of his life in service he has had many amazing experiences. He has met the Dalai Lama  several times. Yet, through all his powerful experiences he has stayed in touch with his Punk Rock roots. He definitely speaks to me on my level and I really like that in a teacher. throughout this book he is extremely honest and that is a refreshing thing in that you get to see exactly what the dharma means to him.

He allows the reader to see how the Dharma affects even his most personal relationships. It's really an amazing telling of a story that is seemingly unlikely. Some of my favorite parts of the book are when he travels to the holy-sites in  Asia. You get a pretty clear picture of what it is like traveling in those countries and how much the experience did for him

If I am listening to a dharma talk, chances are, it is a Noah Levine talk from Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society. (here) I also use that link for my guided meditation.

I would recommend this book even to my non-buddhist friends. More than just being a tool to spread the Dharma it is also an incredible story about the human spirit and the power of hope.

Angry Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment