Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hey, You, Stop Yelling at Me I'm Trying Not to be Angry Over Here

So a few nights ago my family and I went out to eat for dinner. Recently, our kitchen sink has had some difficulties which rendered my dishwasher unusable. The day after my meeting Ryan Hurst, I came down with the Flu. Needless to say, up until a few days ago, my sink was Mount Ick. Also during this time my van began to leak antifreeze. I spent at least one day outside in the cold, dying of the flu, replacing my thermostat. That didn't end up being the problem, but I digress.

My mom and I had discussed trying to fin the leak together that evening. Well, here in Ohio it gets cold pretty quickly once the sun goes down. As we go to sit down at Frisch's, my phone rings. It's my mom so, naturally, I answer it. She asks if I'm bring the van over that night and I say yea, but I'm eating right now, I'll bring it over after. She starts freaking out and saying it will; be dark by then. Ok, no biggie, I'll bring it over the next day, but I have to eat. She starts gettings o loud that people are staring at me.

\Where does the Angry Girl's Guide to Buddhism come in, you ask. Well, before I started skipping down the Middle Way Road, I would have completely flipped the fuck out if my mom had started yelling at me over the phone in a public place. You yell at me I yell at you. That was my motto. This time, as an older couple from West Virginia is staring me down, I took a deep breath and went outside to finish the phone call. I tried to remain calm and tell my mom that I had to eat and that she needed to stop yelling. Instead of the phone call ending in an out and out fight, it ended as calmly as it could.

While my bestie, Hope, likes to joke that I need to stop using my Buddhist voodoo shit on her, I think this Buddhism thing is really working out for me. I'm completely glad Buddha decided to break out on his own instead of continuing a life of total renunciation. I'm glad he accepted the yogurt from that girl who was probably thinking, "Damn dude, eat something. You're scary skinny."  though his ascetic buddies may have thought The Buddha was a poser for eating, I'm glad good old Siddhartha decided that wasn't the way for him

Hey, Mr G, thanks for being the poser who ate the yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment