Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Buddhism, A Secret Society?

I read a blog the other day that an awesome Twitter friend posted  http://fullcontactenlightenment.com In it was a link to a blog posted by a teacher about using Social Media and Buddhism. You can read it for yourself here.

I waited about a week before deciding to blog about this because I wanted to be as objective as possible about it. Now, I am more of a Theravadan girl myself and so I, admittedly, don't know much about Vajrayana. I am not sure at all about their teachings or the style of the teachers. Let me make it very clear, here and now, that I am not judging anyone. Anything I say from her on is just my opinion and thoughts.  It's just a reaction to a blog, so be chill. 

When I first read Rinpoche's blog, I was actually pretty shocked. I wear mala off and on and have, in fact, taken a picture of my mala and posted it on Twitter. I don't see it as a "fashion statement", not in the least bit. I'm sure there are people out there who talk the talk but fail to walk the walk. That can be said for any path of life, but judging, and yes he judges others throughout the entirety of his blog, whole swaths of people is wrong. He talks about not judging others for their choice in style of Buddhism, but he, as I said before, judges others through his whole blog. 

Why is Buddhism, my choice and deeply personal, too good to be posted alongside pictures of my cat? I'm of a generation where facebook and twitter are hangs outs. Posting pictures is the equivalent of putting posters on your bedroom wall. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't put up posters of stuff that didn't mean anything to me. Why, then, does it make me a poser to post things about Buddhism?  I have news for Mr. Rinpoche, in my area, Buddhism doesn't make me part of the cool social tribe. I've never once felt that way. 

I would never censor myself on my facebook or my Twitter. If I feel strongly about something, I post it. Yes, I do also joke and carry on normal conversations, but I don't think it makes me a "so-called" student to share with others how Buddhism has helped my life. Though I am not of the Vajrayana teaching  I would find it very hurtful and slightly offensive to see a teacher keep talking about "so-called" followers. In this day and age you have to get used to Social Media as a tool, not something to be shunned. 

As far as "secret" or "hidden" teachings or only truly being Buddhist if you have had the right teaching from the right people, I am beyond grateful not everyone thinks that way. No way would I be able to find something like that here. I wouldn't be Buddhist without the teachers who feel that the internet is a powerful tool to help educate others.  

Take the guys over at Against the Stream for example, they have a great set up for learning. It's open to everyone from anywhere. This is the first place I went to and was able to listen to Dharma talks and do guided meditations. I am forever grateful to these guys. I really hope more people follow their lead. 

I do also use my Social Media, including this blog, to help spread the word about causes and some charities, such as Staten Strong. It is probably one of the most powerful tools I have seen. Why should anyone be judged by whether or not they post thoughts on their deepest beliefs on Twitter?


Angry Girl, Confused  

No comments:

Post a Comment